Literally!
It was a double break actually.
Jed was playing on the monkey bars with his buddies, fell, and broke his arm just above his wrist, and just above his elbow.
I have always known that Jed is a very strong kid, but I had no idea that breaking his arm would not just remind me of this, but also show me his spiritual strength.
I got a call from the school nurse and hurried to the school to pick him up. As, I walked into the office, I saw him laying there with a horrible look of pain on his face, but no crying. His arm was swollen around the wrist and looked like it had a tennis ball inside his elbow. As the nurse was wheeling him out to the car, he turned to me and said "I don't know what to do, I have already said SO many prayers, and it is still hurting." I could barley get out an answer, but I said something about how Heavenly Father will help him but we also need a doctor to fix his arm.
We went to the clinic, had X-rays, and they sent us to the ER.
We waited in the ER for a few hours, while they took more X-rays and such, he was without any pain medication for 3 1/2 hours.... and boy, was he a trooper. They came in and told us his elbow was a very bad break and he needed surgery.They wired his wrist and elbow back together and stuck three pins in his elbow.
Joe stayed with us all day until Jed was out of surgery, and then he headed home to be with Gage and Corinne for the night. Jed could not sleep at all, and at 2:00 a.m. he was feeling especially chatty.
"Mom, when I was on the Monkey bars, I had a really bad feeling in my stomach that if I kept playing that game, I was going to get hurt. I didn't listen because I had played that game lots of times before and never got hurt. Now I know it was Heavenly Father trying to tell me to stop."
He went on to tell me about a lesson in Primary, where his teachers told him stories about how both of their husbands had been saved from a dangerous situations by listening to the spirit. By the way, his class has two teachers because.... well, do I really need to explain.
I can't tell you how thankful I was at that moment for all of you out there who help us in raising our children. Our kids have great Teachers, Primary Leaders, Family, Friends and their friends Parents, and Neighbors, who I feel absolutely blessed to have as an influence in their lives.
Breaking an arm is a down right hard way to learn a lesson about listening to the spirit. With that experience in addition to what he has been taught, I pray that as he gets older and his decisions start to become BIG, and can even have life altering effects, that because of recognizing the love that Heavenly Father has for him, and the protection that he tried to give him on the playground that day, that he will make a conscious choice to let the Holy Ghost help him in his day to day decisions and in turn stay close to the Lord.
He has already had many visitors and gifts, and it has helped keep his spirits up. Joe's friends at work even sent home a bag full of gifts... with all this attention, his time here at home will fly by. He gets his arm checked and hopefully his hard cast next Monday, then it is back to the grind for this good 'ol boy.
Jed was playing on the monkey bars with his buddies, fell, and broke his arm just above his wrist, and just above his elbow.
I have always known that Jed is a very strong kid, but I had no idea that breaking his arm would not just remind me of this, but also show me his spiritual strength.
I got a call from the school nurse and hurried to the school to pick him up. As, I walked into the office, I saw him laying there with a horrible look of pain on his face, but no crying. His arm was swollen around the wrist and looked like it had a tennis ball inside his elbow. As the nurse was wheeling him out to the car, he turned to me and said "I don't know what to do, I have already said SO many prayers, and it is still hurting." I could barley get out an answer, but I said something about how Heavenly Father will help him but we also need a doctor to fix his arm.
We went to the clinic, had X-rays, and they sent us to the ER.
We waited in the ER for a few hours, while they took more X-rays and such, he was without any pain medication for 3 1/2 hours.... and boy, was he a trooper. They came in and told us his elbow was a very bad break and he needed surgery.They wired his wrist and elbow back together and stuck three pins in his elbow.
Joe stayed with us all day until Jed was out of surgery, and then he headed home to be with Gage and Corinne for the night. Jed could not sleep at all, and at 2:00 a.m. he was feeling especially chatty.
"Mom, when I was on the Monkey bars, I had a really bad feeling in my stomach that if I kept playing that game, I was going to get hurt. I didn't listen because I had played that game lots of times before and never got hurt. Now I know it was Heavenly Father trying to tell me to stop."
He went on to tell me about a lesson in Primary, where his teachers told him stories about how both of their husbands had been saved from a dangerous situations by listening to the spirit. By the way, his class has two teachers because.... well, do I really need to explain.
I can't tell you how thankful I was at that moment for all of you out there who help us in raising our children. Our kids have great Teachers, Primary Leaders, Family, Friends and their friends Parents, and Neighbors, who I feel absolutely blessed to have as an influence in their lives.
Breaking an arm is a down right hard way to learn a lesson about listening to the spirit. With that experience in addition to what he has been taught, I pray that as he gets older and his decisions start to become BIG, and can even have life altering effects, that because of recognizing the love that Heavenly Father has for him, and the protection that he tried to give him on the playground that day, that he will make a conscious choice to let the Holy Ghost help him in his day to day decisions and in turn stay close to the Lord.
He has already had many visitors and gifts, and it has helped keep his spirits up. Joe's friends at work even sent home a bag full of gifts... with all this attention, his time here at home will fly by. He gets his arm checked and hopefully his hard cast next Monday, then it is back to the grind for this good 'ol boy.


Jed really loved this poster the Primary Presidency brought over:


Sad!! What an interesting experience for the little guy, though. Very cool that he recognized that warning.
ReplyDeleteHe is a trooper. It can't be fun seeing everyone doing fun things and not be able to join in. We need to stop by and visit.
ReplyDeleteShannon
That's horrible, poor kiddo!! What a cute boy for having so much courage!
ReplyDeleteOH my! I sure hope he is healing well. So sad for both of you.
ReplyDelete