Saturday, June 26, 2010

10 Years calls for an Adventure:

A few months back our friends Jim and Heather tried to round up some friends to head to a Yankee game in Phoenix towards the end of June...it happened to fall on the week of our 10th Anniversary, so we told them we were in and we made a week of it. We had an such an awesome time!!

As we were on our way to AZ the wildfires shut down the canyon we were planning to drive through. By the time we were informed of the closure we would have had to back track and take an alternate route that would have added hours on to our already -extremely- long car ride.

So what do you do in a situation like this?

Take a gamble on a very long dirt road that cuts across the dessert in 100 degree weather and hope (and maybe say a little prayer) you will eventually meet up with the alternate road??? No...that would be plain crazy!

But.... that is exactly what Joe and Jim decided to do. I have to admit I had a little fear in my heart as we hit mid-desert and still no sign of an out. But, all turned out well -and we lived to tell the tale.




Safe and sound in Phoenix, here we are waiting in the heat for the ball park gates to open:
alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5486944080677163714" />

Jim and Heather are HUGE Yankee fans which was definitely to my benefit... it was like having sport commentators right there to answer my every question.


Our seats were great...we had 6th row right above third base, we even made it on T.V. a few times.




Hey Jeter, thank you for the personal greeting- you ARE rather lovely, but I've got a man.

Best Regards,
Steph






The day after the game we headed over to Vegas and drove by the Hoover Dam on the way, although the pictures make it look puny (if you haven't ever seen it, take my word for it...it is NOT) it was mind blowing that it was engineered and built so many years ago.



Heather (thanks to her mad planning abilities, which I lack) got us an incredible deal on a couple of rooms at the Wynn in Las Vegas. UNREAL!!! The rooms were crazy luxurious, unlike anything I have ever stayed in. At the private pool we were at (they had many) they served us water and grapes while we just laid around and relaxed, I wish I would have taken more pictures. It really was completely out of touch with my reality.


The room views were of the strip and one was the golf course:


This is me and Joe right before we left the room for dinner. We ate at an authentic Italian restaurant which was by far the fanciest place I have ever eaten. We sat outside next to a beautiful pond with reflective metallic spheres in the middle. The waiter had a heavy Italian accent and was all formal and stiff to start out with, by the end of the meal he stuck Jim and Heather with a dinner bill for $500 as a joke...then just laughed it up as he watched their reaction. Priceless.


The week was so relaxing and we were in such good company. I can't thank all the family that helped out with the kids enough, there is nothing like knowing our little animals were well taken care of while we were gone. My sister Shan took the brunt of it and I love her for it.

I have learned so much over the past 10 years, but one thing I have known from day one is that I totally out did myself when I snagged Joe. I had very high expectations for him when I married him, and he has far surpassed every single one- and we still have many, many, years ahead of us. So here is to happily carrying on!

9 comments:

  1. Stephanie! could you imagine 10 years ago that you would be doing MAN things like going to ball games and hunting and bike riding? All you girls are living a whole different life than being raised with sisters only! Good for you. Glad you had a great time. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you had fun. You must have had realy good seats for Jeter to see you in the crowd and tip his hat to you:) Your kids really were so good and I am really glad I was able to help out even if I can be a little emotional sometimes. I love you Steph! Thanks for the hat and cute shirt for Beau!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! You are so good. I haven't even put the pictures on the computer yet!!! Thanks for going with us and driving, it was so much fun, we will have to do it again for sure!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like so much fun! While you were gone, Gage came and swam with us. Luke was glad he had someone to play with. And Abby keeps asking if 'stage' is in our family now. Happy 10 years to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so jealous. I love the Yankees! Good for you guys. That would be so much fun. Happy 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ten years - so cool! I can't believe how quickly time passes. Loved the photos. Adventures make great memories. *

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a great trip - can't wait to hear more!! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad that you guys had such a fun time! Shan brought Gage swimming one day with us and he was a blast! All the kids had so much fun with him. Happy 10 years to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJune 28, 2010

    It is amazing how fast time flies. You and Joe are a great couple. It sounded like you had a great time. Thanks for the note on my blog and thanks for understanding you are a good friend.

    ReplyDelete