Jed, Gage, and a Christmas Train
I want a simple life. I want a happy, healthy, family. I want my husband to always feel appreciated, and loved. I want obedient, respectful, kids (don't we all) but also creative, and happy ones. I want a gospel filled home, along with, a comfortable, relatively clean home. I want space for the kids to play (preferably outside). I want to be surrounded by friends, and family.
That's not too much too ask for is it?? ;)
But don't get me wrong, what I don't want, or expect, is things to be perfect, or easy. That would mean, none of us would be learning.
I mentioned in a previous post, that this year I really want to work on not taking things so seriously. I came upon this really interesting article. I agreed with a lot of it, and disagreed with some...but it got me thinking.
I really do need to loosen up with the kids.
"You really want your children to succeed? Learn when to leave them alone. When you lighten up, they'll fly higher."
When my kids look back on their childhood I want them to have happy memories...like I do...of mine. I want them to have memories of swings, and huts, mud, and picnics, Leggos, and Tea Parties, friends, and cousins, Grandma's, and Grandpa's, and Hard Work.
"With Children, they need that space not to be entertained or distracted. What boredom does is take away the noise...and leave them with space to think deeply, invent their own game, create their own distraction. It is a useful trampoline for children to learn how to get by."
So, this is what I am going to work on...
1. Not planning my kids whole day out for them. I know that they need structure, and work, but they also need that time to fend for themselves. Here is my thinking, (tell me if you think I'm wrong) When the kids are young boredom can be a teacher, with a little direction, they can learn to use their imagination and develop talents, so that when they are older they will know how to keep busy and not let boredom get them into REAL trouble?? Not, that trouble is not coming our way regardless :) Now, how will I avoid them driving me crazy while they learn how to entertain themselves...without me plugging ALL the ideas in their head??
This is what has happened in the past when Jed was alone during a seemingly innocent moment:
This was a couple years back...but all I did was leave Jed alone with a package of fruit snacks. How could he possibly make a mess with fruit snacks?? And I really wish I could find the picture when the boys pulled out all of the insulation out of our unfinished play room walls. I think this down time for them, may still need a little supervision :)2. Let them make mistakes, and learn the natural consequences. This is advice my Mother-in-Law gave me, it is just really, really, really, hard to follow. But she is at the point in her life, where she has been through some really hard times with her kids, and although, never perfect, I respect how she has raised them into such wonderful people. So, I know this is advice worth taking.
And a good reminder to end with...
"If there is to be a return to old and sacred values, it must begin in the home. It is here that truth is learned, that integrity is cultivated, that self-discipline is instilled, and that love is nurtured. Sisters guard your children. Nothing is more precious to you as mothers, absolutely nothing. Your children are the most valuable thing you will have in time or all eternity. You will be fortunate indeed if, as you grow old and look at those you brought into the world, you find in them uprightness of life, virtue in living, and integrity in their behavior.:
Gordon B. Hinckley
But with that in mind, my Dad always says..."Relax, Steph" and I know we are all the same in the fact that- we are all just doing the very best we can.
I found your blog the other day, and might I say it is very inspiring. I love your posts, they are great to read. I too am trying to relax and let more things fly, it is just a little harder than it sounds. The self-entertainment came so easily for my first and he is still a pro at it, but my second asks 50 times before 10 am if he can play the Wii. I suppose it is time to teach him some boredom skills. Thanks Geana
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Dr. Laura, I've read most of her books and tend to listen every day I can. She said a while ago that we now have evented actual plastic swords and shields and other toys for our children to play with rather than, when we were children, that we went outside and a long stick turned into a sword and a garbage lid transformed into a shield. I have learned recently the same things with Brody. I am a MAJOR type 1 personality, I think a lot like you. Controlling, structured, I seriously planned out Brody and my's days in increments of 15 minutes. Lately, I have been relaxing though, I think it has definetely given Brody the opportunity to try things out on his own. Trial and error. Make messes. Get into drawers, make a tower out of unpopped popcorn. Honestly though Steph, your doing great. Jed and Gage are so cute in primary. You should've heard Jed yesterday, Jerry Hall asked him who is dad was and he said, "Joe Hurd," and kind of stuck his tongue out. So cute!
ReplyDeleteGreat ideas, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteYou are so great! I hope that as a grow and mature that I will become more like you. I have always looked up to you and the more that I read your blog the more I hope to be like you. This is a great! Good luck! Also thanks for the reminder that life is not perfect and that you just need to be along for the ride!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you!! I know all kids are different and have different personalities, but I have found that my little ones do great at self-entertaining. I am all about not over scheduling my children so they have time to use their imagination, play and have fun. I really think it so good for children to be children and make up their own fun and it is always fun to see what they come up with. Good luck with your new goals. You are an amazing example and I love reading your blog.
ReplyDelete