Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I have Faith in America!

 When Joe and I were first married I worked at GoldenWest Credit Union for a few years. We had a huge, beautiful, flag that flew outside our building. One day I took a call from an elderly gentleman who was concerned about our flag.
 He was a War Veteran, and he kindly informed me that our flag had tattered edges, it made him extremely sad to see the symbol of our nation being displayed in such poor condition.

 I don't think I will ever forget that phone call!

 He handled and expressed his feelings in such a respectful manner, and it left a huge impression on me.
I have thought about that several times since, not only does the flag have deep meaning to our nation, and stir feelings of gratitude, and pride, in most of us, for some... there are very personal experiences, and memories, that are recalled when seeing our flag fly.












This morning Gage asked why we have a flag pole but don't have a flag flying on it. When we moved in, there was a flag that was left for us, but it was tired from use, and I thought back to that phone call. I have always had the intention of getting a new one, but for one reason or another it was never made a priority.

So I answered Gage back and said "That is a good question, we SHOULD have a flag out there. We will make sure to get one."

He sighed and said, "Well, I guess I will just have to stand outside and wave one until you get one that we can fly on the flag pole."

Thanks Gage, for taking the time to teach your mother something this morning.

It is an election year, it is so hard to watch "the politics", and all of the negativity that goes into the election process. It is also hard (and so very scarey) to watch our nation decline so quickly. This quote always gives me hope:

"Men may fail in this country, earthquakes may come, seas may heave beyond their bounds, there may be great drought, disaster, and hardship, but this nation, founded on principles laid down by men whom God raised up, will never fail. This is the cradle of humanity, where life on this earth began in the Garden of Eden. This is the place of the new Jerusalem. This is the place that the Lord said is favored above all other nations in all the world.. This is the place where the Savior will come to His temple. This is the favored land in all the world. Yes, I repeat, men may fail, but this nation won't fail. I have faith in America; you and I must have faith in America, if we understand the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are living in a day when we must pay heed to these challenges.

I plead with you not to preach pessimism. Preach that this is the greatest country in all the world. This is the favored land. This is the land of our forefathers. It is the nation that will stand despite whatever trials or crises it may yet have to pass through. ("Ye Are the Light of the World", pp. 350-51.) -Harold B. Lee

5 comments:

  1. Wow Lesley... so sad. She was not very old!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those pictures. Thanks for the quote. I love reading something so reassuring during this election.

    Cori looks adorable in her hand-me-downs. Kael was sporting that hat around today at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that quote. Sometimes the other stuff comes to mind first, what a great thought.
    Cute photos of Cori!! So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the wonderful reminder of what our country is and what it should be. It is so easy to get caught up in all the things going wrong, but we need to focus on what the Lord has in store for this counrty!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Just what I needed. It is a scary world out there, particularly the road our nation seems to be going down. Being a devout patriot, I have also got sick of what the media is portraying as politics. It shouldn't be a clawing task full of negative remarks on every opponent. What happened to honorable men like Washington? Our country was blessed to have a solid foundation in the beginning, which will be the key factor that will keep our nation standing. Loved this insight. Thanks. *

    ReplyDelete