Tuesday, August 16, 2011

martawrites.com

I went out for a run this morning and there was a little bite in the air...Man, it felt good.

You know what running does for me, it reminds me of everything I have to be grateful for. First off, for a body that allows me to run, and then it depends on the day, and what the latest happenings have been, but it is like this automatic list that starts flowing:

-The gorgeous land we live in, I usually run before or after the kids are in bed...which means there is a sunrise or sunset to enjoy, coming up, or going down, over our beautiful Utah mountains.

-After enjoying the beauty, thoughts usually turn to my faith... because that is what this life is all about, why we are here, and the reason we have been blessed with so much.

-Family, and friends. There is always something funny that has been said, a great moment with those I love, or a problem that needs to be worked out, that comes to mind.

Sometimes, my thoughts are much more lighthearted or even centered around "when is this blasted run going to end??" but it always ends up FEELING SO GOOD!

This last weekend was the Epic relay that Joe and I did with Dean and Brenda, and some friends. It was hard!... and my legs of the race were nothing compared to some (like Dean and Joes's whew! ).

Although it may not sound like it, there is something so great about piling into a vehicle for 30 hours with good company, treats, and tunes. Anyway, I felt like we all pushed ourselves out of our comfort zones, between 12 runners we covered 206 miles. There were hills climbed, mid-day heat that had to be ran in, cold night air, lack of sleep, Brenda even encountered a huge brush fire, started by volatile truck that was on fire and about to blow (her run was quite exciting).

Got me thinking...we are all capable of so much more than we give ourselves credit for. Pushing our limits is healthy, being uncomfortable with our circumstances makes us grow into better, stronger people. It is not good to let life just take you away, we have to fight for what we want. I am not just talking physically...but emotionally, and spiritually, as well. We need to be happy with the way things are -but never complacent.

Very inspiring weekend.




I thought this last week with the kids was going to be rough, but it was like they knew I was at whits end, and they have been really enjoyable to be around as of late. We have a few last fun things to squeeze in this week, and then it is back to routine, schedules (Yay!) and homework (boo).

3 comments:

  1. Way to go on the Epic run, you guys are awesome. I love that picture of Corrine you can tell how cute her smile is, binky and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are always so inspiring, you really have a way with words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, You are such an awesome person. You have always inspired me to be better. Thank you for always being you. You do have a way with words.

    ReplyDelete