Monday, August 16, 2010

Hindsight is 20/20

Joe and I both committed to the same service project, I decided I would just bring the kids along; the boys could help Joe out, and Cori could hang with me.

Joe went early. I fed the kids dinner and then Corinne followed me so that I could get changed, I noticed her wander off- but didn't think anything of it, until I heard a scream.

I knew immediately what had happened! I made it into the kitchen in less than a second and pulled her off the counter- where she had climbed onto the bar stool, climbed onto the counter top, and walked over to the stove that was off- but still hot.

Break my heart- She burned both feet and one hand!




It makes me tear up, even just writing about this. Watching one of your kids in pain, is heart wrenching!

I did all I knew how to do, as quickly as I could -but I needed help...I ran across the yard to my in-laws. I absolutely love having them as neighbors but at this moment- they saved me! They kept me calm as my brother-in-law went to get Joe. As Joe walked in I burst into tears again, "I am so sorry" is all I could get out. He hugged me, and kissed Corinne and told me everything was going to be O.K., and then he took Corinne and he and his Dad gave her a blessing.

I wholeheartedly believe in the Power of the Priesthood. I know that Heavenly Father has blessed us with this amazing gift, so that those that are worthy- can act in His name. I am so thankful for a loving Father in Heaven who has not left us alone, he has given us all we need to have our burdens made light, and ultimately succeed in this life!

Corinne's recovery has been miraculous so far. Burns HURT, even the tiniest of burns, but you know what our challenge has been during her recovery... trying to slow that girl down! The first few days I carried her around in a pack to keep her off her feet, but she just wont have that anymore. They are healing quickly and she is playing, laughing, and acting like life as usual. I know she has had help with the pain...

that is the only explanation.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Steph... Poor little thing. Things happen so fast and there is nothing we can do to stop it. I hope she gets better fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad! Just so you are not alone on this one, when Boston was only 18 months old, he tried to climb inside an oven at 350 degrees. He too was burned pretty bad, but healed quickly. He does not even have a scar to prove it, only pictures. Know that these things happen more often then we hear of. Hope she gets better fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, you made me cry reading this. Being a Mom is heartbreaking sometimes! Sweet little girl, I hope she gets better quick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always the GOOD moms that never take their eyes off their kids that this kind of thing happens to. The moms that take a nap while their kids juggle knives in the middle of the road....Not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry about what happened. You are still a good mom. Bad things happen to all of us. It is just hard when it is you and your kids. You try every day to keep them from harm and when something happens you feel so terrible. I am so glad she is doing better. It looks like your family had a fun summer. I can't believe school will be starting so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad, poor girl. HOpefully she has a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is such a sweet girl and has been so amazing. Glad she is doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so sad! That's a hard age too, because they just want to go and go. I hope she gets better quickly.

    ReplyDelete