I do.
I think about it every once in awhile when we have "one of those days" and all I have done is get after them about one thing or another, or sometimes when we have a special moment together, or dance around the house, or when I try to dodge a bedtime story because "it is so late" or have a great conversation in the car, OR when I very sternly threaten to "pull this car over if you kids don't settle down" (isn't that one we all thought we would never say) or laugh ourselves silly.
I wonder.
I know I talk a lot about the trouble they cause, or the tantrums they throw, but I love these little people, I love, love, love them!
I do not want to fail them.
This is such an important time in their life, this is their foundation! I tell myself that all I can do is the best I can do, but I sometimes wonder if I am really doing my best. Some days feel more like survival mode than character building mode.
It is all in the the day to day of it, isn't it? The little teaching moments are so easy to miss. That is why I don't want my kids to remember me as being on the computer too much. Flip Side: I want to record these memories, and sometimes the computer is the only thing that helps me feel in touch with what is going on in the world.
I don't want them to feel like a clean house is more important than spending time with them. Flip Side: A clean house keeps us all sane, and I feel like they need to know how to entertain themselves and start projects on their own. Have you ever heard the quote "I love you with all of my heart but it is not possible to love you with all of my time."?
I DO NOT want them to feel like I am always on their case.
Flip Side: They need boundaries and rules, and they need to understand there are consequences for every choice.
I guess balance is the challenge here.
Moving on...
Here are a few reasons these kids are so irresistible:
This is a month or so ago when Gage came and asked me to push the blue motorcycle outside. When I asked why, he told me he just wanted to sit on it so that when people drove by they would think he was riding it. He so wants to be just like his Dad.
This is him taking a wicked turn on the bike.
This is an e-mail I sent Joe today:
Hi.
Gage came out of the computer room and asked the following after looking at BMX tricks on the computer with Jed: "Mom do you think that Dad would dig a HUGE HOLE in our back yard next week?"
Me: "No I don't, why would you want him to dig a hole?"
Gage: "Because boys NEED a big hole to practice their jumps and play in the mud and stuff."
So there you have it, dig the boy a hole :)
Love LOVE you,
Steph
And then there are these faces. I just enjoy this smile:
And her snuggles:
We are off to Park City with my Family for the week. It's going to be good.
What a touching post. I have no doubt that you are an incredible mom. I see it through your blog and deep inside your words. I look forward to the day when I, too, can cherish the small and simple moments that make life worthwhile. *
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reminder, I feel like lately I've been too hard on my little boy for little things, I need to look at the positive things. I'm sure that you are the best mom to those three kids and they will remember you as that!
ReplyDeleteYou are such a sweetheart and a great mom. I need to talk to you more often to make me a better mom. I love reading and looking at your posts. Cameron got to be in a little "bike race" with his dad and he was so excited, boys and their dad's. That pictures of Gage is so cute.
ReplyDeleteHope you enjoyed your time in Park City, we need to play next week!!
I have always thought you were one amazing person. I am more than positive that your children look at you the same way the rest of us do. We all want to be more like you. So good to see you while in Utah.
ReplyDelete