

This is the first time I have put my kids in swimming lessons. I probably should have started Jed before now, (he's 6) but it seemed like I was either pregnant or had a tiny one I didn't want to chase around the pool. This year me and my sister Erin signed the kids up and take turns watching the little girls while the other escorts the older ones to the pool.
Growing up swimming lessons was one of the things I looked forward to every summer. There was a whole crew (me, my sisters and a group of cousins) that took from the same teacher every year...Luann.
You just say her name around my family and we all start spewing out memories.
I remember year after year arriving at the Marshall White Center (not located in the best of areas- FYI) on the morning of swimming lessons and waiting for Luann to pull her old beater car to the curb. She would hop out all frazzled and apologetic for being late, even though she was almost always late. She would hand one of us her coffee, scour her purse for her keys, smooth her boy like hair, and off we would march following her through the humid dressing room (which for the record, is where I witnessed full out nudity for the first time) and in to the pool where all the magic happened.
This lady was a character I tell ya, but I loved her, trusted her completely. Maybe it was her age- closing in on 60, or that swim suit... that was so worn, after years of use, that helped me realize she knew what she was doing and I needed to pay attention. She let nothing slide, you did it right or you did it again. Oh, I could go on forever about what a neat person she is and how much I learned from her. Swimming is one of my absolute favorite things,and I jump at the opportunity every chance I get. I could swim around a pool or lake for hours and be completely happy, relaxed, and entertained.
It is so fun to think back. I find myself wanting to re-create my childhood for my children. It's not possible, things seem more complicated these days, hopefully I can hide them from that for as long as possible, so they can experience the carefree summer days that I will never forget.
Oh Luann, gotta love her!
ReplyDeleteHow fun.. I thought about putting Lily in swim lessons this year but I'm like you I talked myself out of it for various reasons!
ReplyDeleteOh the memories! I was laughing out loud with the description of Luann. I think her swim suit was so worn that it was see through if I remember right ( well see through if it got wet so I would always hope we all did good so she didn't find the need to jump in and correct us).
ReplyDeleteWell that definitely takes me back!! Do you remember her drums on the back seat of her beater yellow car? I never witnessed her band performing at Wild Waters, but can still envision what I thought it would be like. As wild as our experiences were, I treasure the memories of swimming lessons! She taught us well. Great post. *
ReplyDeleteHow fun to take us all back a few years. So funny. It was such a fun experience to all be in lessons together. I hope our kids will have similar memories one day.
ReplyDeleteOH my goodness. I also laughed out loud! That is so funny. I to witnessed my first nudity at the good old Marshall White Center. I remember the drums and her always being late. My mom would never leave till we were safely inside. I think a few times she tried to drown me, trying to tell me how to breath under water. Thanks for the laugh and memories.
ReplyDelete