Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Worth It:


Here is a fact:
Joe is my favorite person.
My absolute favorite person.

I love our kids with all my heart, and of course they mean everything to me as well, but that Joe...

This is cheesy, I am warning you:

he just makes up for everything that I am not, and I really like him, ya know? I love him too, but I really, really, like who he is, and how I feel when I am with him. That is how it is suppose to work, and with us, most of the time it works beautifully, and sometimes it doesn't.

Well, we had a rough week.
It happens.
I was mad at him.
He was mad at me.
We both tried several times to smooth things over and then as we talked, we both ended worse off than when we started.

Argh.
So frustrating.

BUT...

We are good now.

We worked hard, talked a lot, disagreed even more, and finally, after days of having a knot in my stomach I reached over and held his hand, and he squeezed mine back,
I knew it was over.
We were happy... again.

Marriage is hard.
It is GREAT, but it is hard.

It feels so good to write out that, sometimes things don't go the way you want them to, but guess what? Since our "week", Joe and I have had some of the best talks we have had in awhile, worked through things that needed work, and our friendship is even stronger than it was before.

And it is not just us who benefit.
Our kids NEED, and deserve, happy parents!


Joe paid me a compliment to one of his co-workers last week.


He said, "Steph gets all of the important things right."

He said that, when I thought, he thought, I wasn't so great. But he does think I am great, even when I am not at my best. I am flawed and sometimes my flaws affect those close to me, but if I take care of the things that matter most, I will consider that a success.

1 comment: