

These are Cleaning solutions you can make at home. My Aunt started a Family Share a while back where my extended family has exchanged all sorts of recipes by e-mail. I thought this was a good one to share for this time of year.
Erin's Cleaning Solutions
-------------------------
Window Cleaner
Use an empty milk carton
Pour 1 bottle (16 oz) rubbing alcohol
Fill the rest of the way with water
Add 1 Tbsp regular V05 shampoo
Shake well . . . That’s it
I haven't tried this cleaner, but I've heard that it is great. With no little finger prints for weeks.
The other recipes are for laundry soap and dishwasher detergent. I've been told the ingredients can be found at most grocery stores. (I haven't tried yet, I have tried them because someone made them for me and they worked great, I just haven't made them myself)
Liquid Laundry Detergent
· 1/3 bar grated Fels Naptha Soap
· ½ cup Washing Soda or sodium carbonate
o NOT sodium bicarbonate
· ½ cup Borax
You will need a small bucket (2 gallon size). Put grated Fels Naptha into a large sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and heat until soap melts. Add Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until dissolved and remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket. Add soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours. It will get. Use ½ cup per load.
Dishwasher Detergent
o 1 ½ cups Borax
o 1 ½ cups baking soda
o 1 cup table salt
Shake together in a container. Use the amount you normally use for regular detergent.
Liquid Soap ( Bath or Hand)
o 1 cup grated Ivory soap
o Or bar soap of your choice
o 3 cups hot water
o Few drops of essential oil – if desired
Place in a plastic container. Stir with a wooden spoon let sit overnight. Pour into a pump bottle using a funnel.
Powdered Laundry Detergent
o 1 cup grated Fels Naptha soap
o ½ cup Washing Soda
o ½ cup Borax
Mix and store in an airtight container or bag. For normal loads, use 2 tablespoons. For heavy loads, use 3 tablespoons. Using too much detergent may cause “dingy” effect.
Dish Soap
o 1 cup castile soap
o ¼ cup water
o Drop of essential oil
Shake together in a container.
Homemade Cleaning Solutions
Cleaning Solutions from Sherri
------------------------------
Window Cleaner
4 Tbsp Household Ammonia
4 Tbsp Rubbing Alcohol
1 Pint of Water
Mix together. You can also add a drop of food coloring. I have been very pleased with the results!
Disinfectant Spray
Mix 1 part water, 1 part hydrogen peroxide, the juice of half a lemon, and 5-10 drops of lemon essential oil. You can make a cleaner using similar ingredients, just replace the hydrogen peroxide with distilled white vinegar. Both household cleaners will fill your home with a fresh lemon scent.
With the disinfectant spray, I have only made the cleaner and was very pleased with it. I plan on trying the spray soon. I often wonder about the effectiveness of homemade cleaners but this recipe actually came from the extension service and they state that it is an effective disinfectant. I have been interested in making cleansers not only because they are cost effective, but also I have often wondered how you would have the room to store enough cleaners for a year. I thought this was a great way.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to add a few products that I LOVE LOVE.
First, I can't live without my Magic Eraser (that may be a little dramatic) but I really do use it for almost EVERYTHING. I actually buy the store brand, works just the same.
Second, if you have tough stains in your toilets there is a pumice stone you can get at the hardware store that you GENTLY rub on the stain until gone.
Finally, if you have stainless steel appliances the cleaner is pretty expensive, I use white vinegar to remove fingerprints and such- works well (I use Pledge Multi Purpose on occasion)
Oh...and can't live without my Clorox disinfectant wipes, especially during flu season, quick and convenient, perfect with small kids and dirty boys.
I love the pictures of your adorable little girl. She is so cute. I love it when my kids help me clean. It is the best. I also liked the pictures of your house. Your hard work is paying off. You have done such a great job. I hope you have sometime to enjoy it.
ReplyDelete